Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Nostalgia & Missed Memories

My baby sister decided she wanted to grow up despite my better intentions. And, as it happens when you are a junior in highschool, she attended her school prom. In fact, girlfriend is attending an additional prom on Saturday. Hot damn!

Here's the sad news: I missed the festivities. Mama Squit was good enough to send me the pictures of my beautiful little lady. Can we pause for one second and discuss how stunning she is?!?! She is such a gorgeous young woman. Also, mom went all out on the prom dress, too, right? I know.

And though this is in celebration of Allegra's day, I can't help but admit that it makes me the tiniest bit nostalgic. My junior prom was without a question the best day of highschool. Better than graduating and heading in my white dress straight out of there. The truth is, 8 years later, I don't remember details about what we did before or after. I know Stephanie came over and we got ready, the boys came over, one with a balloon in tow. I vividly remember one of my straps breaking and Mrs. R fixing it.

I just remember euphoria on that day. That boy I loved was on his best behavior; we danced and laughed. Certainly, with the passion that accompanies young love, one day the tables would turn. There would a stretch where the emphasis was on the painful and the dramatic. But the pain of all that has dulled as well.

It's almost embarrassing how often I feel a twinge of nostalgia for him or how quickly something can trigger a memory from those 4+ years we spent together. He remains one my favorite men on earth. It's been years since we've seen each other, and overtime, a new friendship has developed between us.

For posterity's sake, here's two from my own junior prom:

*Please check out baby Allegra.

Is part of this a romanticized view of young love? Absolutely. Do some of those memories reflect a time of more than my share of vulnerable, tender and loving moments? I know it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment