Friday, April 9, 2010

Gratitude. In 5 pieces.

I think we'd all agree, moments of growing up are brutal. In one particularly rough phase of adolescence, crying over people whose names I barely can even remember today, some wise person advised me to write down 5 things I was thankful for everyday. I took that journal with me compulsively and I held onto those things I wrote down. Some days they poured out, others pulling a simple 5 were hard.

As I've grown, it's a concept I've held onto. In quiet moments, I often find myself compiling lists of things for which I'm truly grateful. Sometimes light-hearted, and other times intense.

Without further ado:

Each one of these gorgeous people, for different reasons.

The littlest one has a heart of gold. There's not a mean bone in her body. Don't misunderstand me, there once was. But now, damn near every trace of it is gone. And I'm proud of her every day; she's kicking ass in school and her extracurriculars like dance, theatre and singing.

That big one there; he's a keeper. A protector, provider, and a friend. I couldn't ask for a better old man. Except when he talks over that little one we just talked about.

And my mom. There's not enough to say about her here. I'd bore you. But I assure you, she is patient, smart, funny, quick-witted and a damn good multi-tasker. Girlfriend has a lot on her plate, but she still has time for the rest of us. She's terribly, unwaveringly selfless.

These guys, too:



Well, not necessarily them. While I do love the show and it's representation of friendships, true love and adults in pursuit of silliness, I mean this more as a representation of my gratitude of friendships in general. The core group has been around many years and would put this count of 5 well over fair-limits. You know who you are, and you're here on this list.

And, if we are being honest, here's number 5:



You may want to try this sometime; don't even worry about writing it down. Just keep what you're thankful for on the tip of your tongue. No shame it's a list of the ingredients in peanut butter bars (pb, powdered sugar, chocolate chips, and something crunchy).

No comments:

Post a Comment