Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dare I admit...I'm a romantic?

I suppose I've fancied myself "edgy" all my life.

Turns out, at least in my design sensibility, I'm sweet as sugar. Something about romantic styling, curvy lines, whimsical details, detailed mirrors and a pop of bright color makes me want to curl up with a book and stay in on a Friday night. Partly, a tremendously "girly" place to unwind sounds so comfortable: my Aunt Barb had a "dressing" room in her former Chicago apartment which seemed to characterize this space for which I'm searching.

I learned this lesson firsthand when designing my newest bedroom. While my roommates were drawn to masculine colors, lines, and themes, I stayed with a girlier palette. My furniture is white accented by black and white art and sheer, purple curtains.
But it's not just small spaces.

I find myself more and more drawn to romantic themes in art and even in big pieces, like the love-inspired Philadelphia murals.


Here are some images that make me swoon:



Dream room. Where do I sign up? Currently, I'm drooling over gray combinations like gray & pink, or gray & purple with a pop of yellow. This is subject to change at any minute, but I'm feeling the calming influence of gray right now.


Dream tub. Fill it up for me.


Entry way. Found this on my first favorite blog, Elements of Style. Wholly inspired by the lovely Erin Gates.



Dainty blue-tiled washroom. Love that mirror.


Look at that pop of color. So intriguing.


Totally moved by these murals around Philly. See more around the city here.


Romantic art. See, I told you. She has a great full shop Kiss her. It's British. Pounds make me sad.

Ok, off to Nashville tomorrow--I'll post all the great scenes from the city next week.

2 comments:

  1. Love love love that blue brick in the bathroom, and that pop of color in the kitchen!

    I find myself a little more harsh in my design choices - but I do love a good romantic accent here and there, like this pillow: http://www.target.com/Home-Damask-Dec-Pillow-Grey/dp/B001H9A5SA/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

    ReplyDelete