Tuesday, September 28, 2010

First Bite: Deuxave

Last night, I was fortunate enough to go to the grand opening of Deuxave (doo-ave) at 371 Commonwealth Ave. (Oddly, I had already been.) Regardless, it was a chance to show off the state-of-art-ktichen, some interesting cocktails and a sampling of food.

The co-owners come from Dorchester-fave dbar, a place my roommates and I frequent for cherished Show-tune Tuesday. Point is, these guys are good.

The space is sleek and contemporary: dark gray, lush booths, chandeliers and a marble bar. (There is a serious lack of pictures to post, however). It's another up-scale neighborhood joint. I think this particular location, with a crippling lack of parking, may serve to be difficult but I'm hoping Deuxave proves me wrong.

Onto the story, last night I enjoyed complimentary sparkling wine and a lemonade-esque tequila cocktail. I enjoyed my drinks thoroughly, but paid for that this morning. 

We sampled passed apps including a sweet corn soup, tuna tartare, salted milk chocolate caramels with cherry, prosciutto-wrapped watermelon, cheese puffs, oysters and other tasty delights. This one poor waiter kept passing by with meat-centric apps, so I continued to pass (as I'm a pain-in-the-ass vegetarian). He got frustrated and said, "You can't reject me all night," after describing a small square as a lemon and muffled something with a fig chutney. So I tried it. 

As it turns out, that muffled something was a pretty important piece of information to hear. I bite directly into an app with pate on top. I knew immediately something was not right that was happening in my mouth, but there wasn't much to do about it. 

This was quite a foray back into meat-eating. My poor friend asked, "Oh, do you not like liver?" Gratefully, she ate the reminder while I flagged down the bartender for another tequila. 


No comments:

Post a Comment